Over the years I have offered a number of workshops and classes for couples. Currently I do not have any scheduled. Listed below are the workshops I offer from time to time. Use the contact below to let me know if you are interested in a specific workshop.
Couples Communication 101
Helpful, live training for couples:
*Who are considering marriage, but want to address a few concerns before planning a wedding
*Who are serious about marriage but have recently broken up or gotten back together
*Who want to improve communication in general
The Art & Science of Love Couples Workshop
What Successful Couples Know...
The Art and Science of Love Workshop is based on the work of John Gottman, Ph.D. Dr. Gottman has learned what really makes relationships work by studying and following over 3,000 couples in over 30 years of research. This workshop is designed to teach you exactly what successful couples do to foster romance and harmony in their relationships. During the first day, you will learn how to build fondness, admiration, and closeness in your relationship. On the second day, you’ll work on conflict management while learning new and important communication skills. Couples work privately on exercises designed to address the challenges in real-life relationships. Certified Gottman therapists are available to support couples one-on-one with exercises. The nature of this workshop is psycho-educational. There is no group work or public disclosure.
The New Date will be announced soon
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed to strengthen your marriage or relationship. If you have a strong relationship, this workshop will provide you with the insights and tools to make it a great one. If your relationship is distressed, then this two-day workshop will provide a road map for repair.
What You’ll Learn
At the workshop, couples will learn how to:
- Foster respect, affection, and closeness
- Buid and share a deeper connection with each other’s inner world
- Keep conflict discussions calm
- Break through and resolve conflict grid-lock
- Strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship
The Five Basic Questions
- How is your marriage/relationship doing?
- What makes relationships change, for better or for worse?
- If your relationship is in trouble, how can you turn it around?
- If your relationship is doing well, how can you ensure that it will continue to grow?
- As your relationship improves, how can you make changes last?
Workshop Topics Assessing Your Relationship
- Learn to recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your relationship.
- Identify your relationship’s specific strengths and how to build on these.
- Learn about the effects of physiological flooding and how it may affect conflict resolution.
- Learn small, easy steps that increase romance in your relationship.
Build a "Sound Relationship House"
- Learn how Love Maps provide a solid foundation for your relational intimacy.
- Use the Fondness and Admiration System to renew respect and care for one another.
- Create an Emotional Bank Account that you can draw upon in times of stress.
- Develop your problem-solving skills, including the four techniques of effective conflict resolution: Softened Start-Up, Accepting Influence, Repair Work, and De-escalation
- Find out how you can make your dreams and aspirations come true for you, and your partner, and your relationship.
Joy Allen, LCSW, M.Div. is in private practice in Southwest Fort Worth. She has been helping strengthen relationships of couples and families for over 25 years. During the past 16 years in her private practice she has seen a wide variety of couples including couples reconsidering their commitments, newly married, gay and lesbian, and couples who have been together many years. She has co-presented the Gottman couples workshop in Chicago, St. Louis, Austin and Houston.